Saturday, July 2, 2011

Everything's Bigger in Texas


My trip to Austin, TX last week was fantastic and full of fun and excitement! I really enjoyed my time there because I got to spend time with my best bud =). It was really awesome being in the area where she's lived for the past year and visiting the places she goes on a normal basis. Places we visited included various buildings on the UT campus, her apartment obviously, and delicious food places such as Galaxy! We, well I, also ate at a place called Freebirds, which was really really yummy and perhaps on par with Chipotle! I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. The meat at Freebirds is actually better than Chipotle though. Good thing Chapel Hill doesn't have a Freebirds because then I'd be forced to make a decision between it and Chipotle!


Anyway, all in all, my time in Austin was fun and it was a beautiful city (besides the lack of trees...). I told my friend already that if I had visited UT before filling out college applications, I probably would have chosen UT over UNC. I'm not saying I regret choosing to go to UNC or that i dislike it, but Austin and the people there are just amazing. I LOVED it! I see now why my friend chose to go there and why she has enjoyed her time so much! I can't wait to visit her again and hopefully meet more people and spend more time in the homes! The saints in Austin are incredibly sweet and the church life is so real and precious. The older ones are great patterns for us, the younger believers =). Because of the good impression Austin made on me, I'm seriously considering UT for pharmacy school. We'll see where the Lord leads me!


Another dimension to my trip was the draw of Austin as my hometown. I was born in Austin but moved shortly after so I don't remember a thing about Texas. I should probably just call myself a native North Carolinian =P. I like describing myself as a Texan though, it makes me a little different from most others I meet around here. Anyway, it was fascinating being in the city I was born in, seeing St. David's Hospital, wondering how much has changed, going to places my parents might've been, and meeting people who knew me and my family! 19 years had passed and I finally made it back to my roots =). Who knows, maybe one day I'll end up living in Texas again!


Traveling to Austin was so much fun that I realized how little of the nation I've seen, let alone the world. I really want to travel more, especially to places like Europe and Australia. I feel like those kinds of international trips would be mind-boggling and a dream come true =). For now, maybe I'll just try to stick around here and visit places like Canada (never been there!), Hawaii, Alaska, Seattle, and everywhere else that might be interesting! I can't travel alone though, travel buddies are necessary, so let's all plan together!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Austin! :) It was sooooo good to have you here! And if you ever need a travel buddy, I'm game :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so much! Everything we did was better done together! Girl, definitely! What is our next destination?

    ReplyDelete