Monday, July 4, 2011

Always here for us =)

One of my favorite verses in the New Testament:

"I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me."
                                    -Philippians 4:13

This verse has been so helpful to me throughout high school and my freshman year of college. Every time I became stressed or overly anxious, Philippians 4:13 would come to mind and remind me that all of this outward worrying was for nothing. Nothing I did, felt, or thought would mean anything without Christ. All my successes and all my failures were and are not due to my own mind, emotion, and will. Instead, each time I studied or took an exam, I could only turn to the Lord and depend on him to be my strength and guide me. Another verse that supported this verse and was equally as encouraging was John 15:5, which is mentioned in the first footnote for Philippians 4:13:

"Apart from Me you can do nothing." 
                      -John 15:5

John 15:5 shows us the organic relationship we have with the Lord. He is our living and we ought to remember that each day. We must keep our hearts open to the Lord and always continue to seek him. I can testify that I have often not been faithful in pursuing the Lord, but each time I go through a trial or am in need, these verses encourage me to seek the Lord again. For this, I am incredibly thankful that I have the precious Word of God to comfort me and be my enjoyment each day! I also really appreciate the friend who first wrote Philippians 4:13 on my eraser many years ago during midterms. She may not know how much of an impact the verse has had on my life nor even remember writing the verse, but such a simple act has helped me through so much and always reminded me to turn to the Lord.

However, a turn to the Lord shouldn't come only when you're in need, but there should be a constant and relentless pursuing of the Lord even when times are good. =)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! awesome post! I also have been appreciating that apart from Christ we are nothing, have nothing and can do nothing! This was such a strange concept for me to grasp. At first I felt sad that I was basically good for nothing, but then I thought about how whenever I tried to do something for the Lord out of my own effort, it ALWAYS failed! The Lord doesn't want us to work for Him. He can do everything perfectly Himself. What He really wants is for us to depend on Him and trust in Him and go to Him as our source and supply for everything! I never thought I would be so happy to be completely useless. May we see Christ as our everything!

    ReplyDelete